Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Soap

Recently I have been researching soap. I'm especially interested in homemade soap. The first reason is that it is better for you. You control the ingredients and can add or subtract whatever you like. One of the bonuses is that while it's setting your house smells wonderful!

So for the past couple months I've been experimenting with glycerin base and goat's milk base soaps. I bought essential oils and have been adding all kinds of natural exfoliators. I have used lime zest, orange peel, oatmeal, and more. My favorite is the lime zest because it gives the soap a little coloring.

For extra moisture I add some coconut oil. This soap does not give you the typical "fresh and clean" feeling. It does not strip your skin of natural oils and even leaves a layer of oil behind. After getting used to it, you realize it is a great feeling.

My favorite way to make the soap is to melt half goat's milk base and half glycerin base.I then add about 10 drops of essential grapefruit oil. I mix the 2 together and swirl a knife in the mold to make a little pattern. Then I sprinkle my lime zest on top. Sometimes I mix it throughout the whole mold.


No comments:

Post a Comment